Friday 13 November 2009

Questionnaire regarding film posters

I asked 20 peers a range of questions about the forms and conventions of film posters and how they perceive particular colours and aspects of the posters. I aim to gain some useful information that will provide me with inspiration and ideas for my own poster, for example what colours would work best, the layout of my poster, types of font etc.

1. What do you usually notice first when you see any film posters?
- The name of the film llllll 6
- The image llllllllllllll 14
- Names of the actors
- The release date
- A slogan or subheading

2. How do you tend to perceive the colour red?
- Danger llllll 6
- Death lllllll 7
- Blood llllll 6
- Love l 1
- Beauty
- Confidence
- Vitality

3. Where would you find the name of the film most visible?
- Centre of the poster llllll 6
- In the middle (horizontally) lllllllll 9
- In the middle (vertically) lllll 5
- At the bottom of the poster

4. What aspect of film posters denotes the genre of the movie the most from your point of view?
- The colours used lllll 5
- Main image lllllllll 9
- The name of the film llll 4
- The type of font used ll 2

5. Where on the poster would you expect to see the text written? (slogan, release date, actors names etc)
- At the bottom lll 3
- On the right hand side lll 3
- On the left hand side l 1
- At the top ll 2
- In the centre ll 2
- In various places llll 4
- It depends on where the image is and how the text can be integrated with the image lllll 5

6. What aspects of the main image enhance the intended impression given to an audience?
- The lighting used in the image lllll 5
- The colours ll 2
- Facial expressions lllll 5
- Mise-en-scene lllll 5
- Background/setting lll 3

From looking at my primary research I can determine that the image/s of film posters attract a lot of attention from an audience, therefore this will be a very important aspect of my poster and I shall ensure that I make the image I use very dominant in the poster. I could do this by making the whole photo the size of the poster so that it fills the whole page.
Nearly half of the people that participated in my questionnaire feel that the title would be most noticeable in the middle of the poster, I agree as the middle would also be eye level.
The main image is important for the representation of the genre to an audience.
The lighting, facial expressions and mise-en-scene of the main photo are all equally important when it comes to creating the correct impression for the target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment